Jackfruit is a super food in many ways. It is big, rich in nutrients, many parts can be used in cooking and it can be consumed in different phases of maturity starting from tender jackfruit till ripe & unripe mature jackfruit in sweet and savory dishes. It is best fruit that can help a country like India achieve food security dreams. When I write about jackfruit, its seed includes too. Jackfruit seed is one of best protein rich food articles which is underrated. This can be used in varieties of delicious dishes wither sweet or savory again.
As it is jackfruit season I am sharing another recipe of jackfruit seed gravy or curry which goes well with Indian breads like chapathi, parata or even with poori.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Jackfruit seeds – 1 cup
Tomato – 1
Onions – 1 (small)
Garlic – 6 cloves
Coriander leaves – few sprigs (to garnish)
Salt – to tatse
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Dry red chillis (byadagi) – 2, adjust to taste
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Grated coconut – 4 tbsp
- Peel the outer plastic like skin of jackfruit seeds completely and discard that skin. The brown cover can be retained.
- Wash them with running water when seeds are clean without any skin left.
- Cut the seeds into half or little smaller pieces.
- Cook washed and cut jackfruit seeds in a pressure cooker with sufficient water (about 3 cups) and salt.
- Chop tomatoes roughly, peel and chop onions too.
- Take a frying/ tadka pan, roast coriander seeds & red chillis for a while.
- Take spices, tomatoes, onions, garlics & grated coconut in a mixer jar and grind to smooth paste.
- Now heat a wok/ kadai. Add oil & mustard.
- On spluttering, add curry leaves.
- Add ground paste and fry until raw smell goes off.
- Add cooked jackfruit seeds. Add jaggery, turmeric powder.
- Mix and boil the curry well.
- Transfer to the serving bowl garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve with chapathi/ pooris.