A traditional payasa/ kheer from our place/ Coastal Karnataka is Gram dal & tapioca pearls payasa or Kadle bele sabakki payasa. A similar delicious combination can be made by replacing gram dal (channa dal) by jackfruit seed. It makes a perfect replacement. Payasa is not only delicious like traditional one, but nutritionally rich too. Jackfruit seeds are packed with nutrients such as Carbohydrates, protein, fiber, vitamins like thiamine (B1) and riboflavin (B2) and they contain traces of zinc, iron, potassium, copper, and manganese. These seeds make great food ingredient otherwise it is highly ignored part of this delicious fruit.
Check here for my recipes of jackfruit seedmilkshake, Halasina beejada kulfi, Jackfruit seeds halwa, halasina beejada saaru & Jackseed and green leaves sambhar. Also check the recipe of sabakki payasa. Please find the recipe of this payasa/ kheer as below!.
Preparation time:20 minutes
Cooking time 30 – 45 minutes
Jackfruit seed/ halasina beeja (of ripe jackfruit) – 1 cup
Sabudana/ Sabakki / Tapioca Pearls – 1/2 cup
Coconut Milk – 2 Cups (1 cup thick & 1 cup thin coconut milk)
Jaggery – 1Cup (grated), adjust to taste
Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
- Crush jack seeds a bit by using mortar & pestle. Remove outermost plastic like skin.
- If jackfruit seeds are dry, then wash them with clean water and soak in water for few minutes.
- Cook them in a pressure cooker with about 2 cups of water for 4-5 whistles. Set aside until pressure settles down. When it cools donw, transfer it to a mixer jar and grind coarsely. Do not make fine paste. Having chunks of gram dal/ kadle bele size is important to get that enhanced taste.
- Transfer to a thick bottomed vessel.
- Meanwhile fry Sabakki in a thick bottomed pan with 2 spoons of ghee. This will take 5-8 minutes in low flame.
- In the cooker used to cook jackseed, take 3 cups of water (2 cups of water + 1 cup of thin coconut milk) and bring to boil. When it starts boiling, add sabakki and close the lid. Cook till 4-5 whistle. When pressure releases, add it to the cooked & ground jackfruit seed.
- Add jaggery , boil well.
- When everything is combines well, add thick coconut milk. Add cardamom powder. Switch off the heat when it just starts boiling.
- Serve this delicious rich payasa.
- It tastes great even if chilled.
- To remove, impurities from jaggery, boil it with little water till it dissolves completely. Strain / filter using a strainer. Then add to the kheer.
- Care to be taken while cooking tapioca pearls as to maintain the proper texture. Some sabakki cooks fast, some takes time. You can use your way of cooking it, either by soaking water as well.
- Milk can be used instead coconut milk. But I love coconut milk in kheer.
- Gram dal can be used instead jackfruit seed to make kadle sabakki payasa.